- spinnaker and associated special behaviors;
- apparent wind;
- WWC – wind, waves, current standards compliant;
- top mast pennant light indicating race wind;
- new windshadow, capable of exchanging effects with boats of other classes / builders;
- floating state, swinging with waves;
- while floating, boat will slowly get aligned to current stream;
- brand new sounds, through two independent audio channels;
- real polars;
- mega prim sails;
- sails tack by the wind (tack command deprecated);
- eject control;
- many and adequate new HUD features;
- all v2.53 features, kept;
- completely recoded to faster and more efficient script performance;
- compatible with WWC system features, cruise and race, shared windshadow, and also capable to deal with WWC local conditions, up to a maximum of simultaneous 15 different locals.
- new windshadow, capable to throw and receive wind shadow and wind bend between ACA, Fizz, Shelly, boats based on the DIY kit and more to come, like the Jangars;
- windshadow calculations based also on estimated other boat apparent wind and boom position;
- complete review and recoding of all scripts; lag reducing measures at countless spots;
- up to date script tecnhology, taking advantage of new LSL functions available from Second Life Server 1.38.* and up;
- functions distributed among scripts for maximum efficiency: control and sailing engine, wwc interpreter functions, polars, particle system, set data, windshadow, moving parts, wwc receiver functions, settings card reader, data storage and transient sounds;
- from previous 17 scripts, ACA33 has now 4 central controls and engine scripts, all at root prim; besides that, only the still inevitable two for email sending and scripts for animated / ejectable sit targets;
- ability to set and save user wind, waves and current;
- prim names reviewed and organized;
- race wind, wave and current check indicated by a top mast “pennant light”; all boats in the same race must change light simultaneously and to the same color;
- standing up, and by that getting boat moored, will lose race wind and its indicators; next boarding will load set / skipper saved wind (waves and current);
- class name for WWC setters including version;
- eject control:
. Command “eject” through chat (via gesture, if so wanted) with this syntax:
. eject (alone) : eject all crew
. eject on : lock (remaining) seats (no one gets ejected here; useful to lock to strangers after crew is complete)
. eject off : unlock seats (default state at each rez)
. eject abc : eject avatar which name is or starts with abc (case insentitive)
- higher timer frequency, for faster overall response;
- realistic behavior as much as possible;
- swing over waves (can get you sea sick 🙂
- losing speed drastically reduces ability to turn; running aground or in irons is big mess;
- inertial steering, after holding left or right arrow for a while, or precise one when done by quick keys taps;
- any sail can be used alone or combined, except for jib and spin, which cannot be up together; raising one automatically lowers the other;
- spinnaker raise / lower through transparency;
- speed penalty and time delay for sail to be effective when raising or lowering spinnaker;
- spinnaker boom/pole kept on deck;
- “spin slap” – when you go too much upwind with a raised spin you can suffer the spin slap, represented by extra heeling and huge speed and turning power decrease; on strong winds the only way out may be to lower the spin;
- with currents introduction, comes water speed concept, that is, speed relative to water and not to ground; some behaviors, like wake emission and turn rate are affected by that;
- waves and wind will try and push bow or stern away, especially at low boat speeds;
- while floating, boat will slowly get aligned to current stream;
- new sounds, especially for crackings and hitting metal;
- ability to have partially transparent boom, to allow better mouse mode view sailing;
- with one mega prim each sail, boat has gained spinnaker and spinnaker boom/pole and still got reduced by one prim overall; total now: 25 prims, what allow to carry skipper at helm and many crew;
- protest command to shout;
- new default camera position defined at ACA33Settings notecard, which can be deleted or renamed after use; When you change any of those positions, they become valid for the next times you sit. So if you re already sitting, you need to stand up and sit again.
- new animated seats can be defined through ACA33Settings notecard through lines with syntax: “sittarget PosX PosY PosZ RotX RotY RotZ”;
– with this, will have a sit target;
– copying script “SEAT” found at some prims to the new seat prim inventory will allow use of first animation also put there to replace default sit animation;
– example is prim and the line “sittarget -1.5 -1.2 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 frontwinches”;
– remember: after loaded, you can rename notecard for it doesnt need to be loaded at each rez.
ACA33Settings includes parameter
– degreesperclick 5.0
– replace the default sails trim 5 deg up/down keyboard arrows and HUD arrow clicking.
– saved with boat, no need to re-read the notecard each rez.
- Commands moor or lower all sails, from chat or HUD, will set boat to floating state. Complete mooring by standing up.
- Minimum sail set angles, in degrees, aproximately based on RL boat: jib 10, spin 30, main sail zero.
- spin raise or lower are indicated by whispered chat text;
- ability to ignore specific wind setters by ignore list, after “Ignore this” answer;
- Wind setter dialog shows windsetter name and more data. Example:
Caf Binder’s “ACA33 v3 Racer”
Wind setter: “WWC Setter ACA Island”
Wind speed: 14.9 kts
Wind direction (from): 0 deg
Wave heigth: 0.5 m
Current speed: 1.0 kts
Current direction (to): 90 degAccept this | Ignore this | Ignore all
- Chat command “/1 set” alone, shows “present” data (not “saved” data)
- Chat command “/1 set save” saves present data to the boat
- “/1 ?” or “/1 help” command gives a summary of chat commands;
- chat commands to check or save wind, waves, current and user data
– … display
set [save] = shows everything; or save current data;
set = shows that block data (wind, wave, current or user)
– … set
set wind [dir-FROM [speed [gusts [shifts [change rate]]]]]
set wave [height [length [speed [Hvar% [Lvar% [originX [origin Y [water depth]]]]]]]]
set curr[ent] [dir-TO [speed [water depth]]]
set channel [channel#]
set alpha [%opaque] [“boom” or negative number for %opaque]
set showsail [off] | [jib(=1)] [spin(=2)] [main(=4)] [port(=*-1)] (or numbers sum)
- more chat commands:
– protest [text]
– unlock, lock: allow guest at helm
– raise [all | jib | main | spin]
– moor or lower: set boat to floating
– m, j, s [+- 0 to 90]: mainsail, jib, spin sheets
– id [AA99]
– eject [on | off | <name or part of>]
- units used:
– compass angles (N=0 degrees, clockwise)
– speeds in knots
– distances in meters
HUDs (HORIZONTAL, VERTICAL, INFO)
- one script per HUD now; 42 scripts made into one, both at H and V HUDs;
- JIB or SPIN sail presently up, effective, raised, indication below wind angle.
- JIB or SPIN active destination for commands from HUD indicated by a lit button and can be toggled by clicking any of them. Not to be confused with JIB or SPIN sail in effect.
- HUDs able to indicate apparent or true wind angles; WIND button
- negative, backwards, speed indication;
- panel texture reviewed to accommodate new buttons;
- Tack command is deprecated. We now deal with sheets only and cannot “push” sail away. We have the keyboard arrows as: up=more sheet, down=less sheet. Similar behavior at HUDs: since up and down already are raise and lower, they adopt left=less sheet, right=more sheet.
- a few less prims, wherever possible;
- HUD channel encrypted;
- settings notecard at INFO HUD for text color;
– text color saved, so notecard is needed just once.
- H and V HUDs able to indicate wind shadow (wind speed) or bend (wind angle) effects by colors
– no color = no effect
– tones of yellow = growing effect, up to 50% of maximum
– tones of orange = growing effect, up to 99% of maximum
– red = 100% of maximum
- Info HUD able to indicate wind shadow (wind speed) or bend (wind angle) effects by “***”
– no indication = no effect
– * = growing effect, up to 50% of maximum
– ** = growing effect, up to 99% of maximum
– *** = 100% of maximum
- HUD shows ground speed. You ll see it slowering when against current (and will have to adjust sails as well).
- WIND button, used to choose wind to display between TWA and AWA, also provides a third state which is to keep changing displayed wind from AWA to TWA and back, at a rate of 3 seconds for each display. Repeatedely clicking WIND button will select APP, TRUE or blinking state.
- As it was it previous ACA versions, burnt given HUDs allow crew to also handle the boat.
(:)s CAF BINDER
The Second Life America’s Cup ACA33 Class Boat and Racer is a collaborative project made possible by the efforts and talents of these Second Life Residents:
Project development and management: Florencia007 Csak
Project producers: Javier Merlin & Aca32 Barbosa
Vehicle and HUD scripting: Caf Binder
Boat sculpt modeling: Florencia007 Csak & Caf Binder
Full motion skipper and crew animations: Larinda Cordeaux
America’s Cup ACA33 Class Boat is sponsored by 9th.com
ACA33 v3.0 LAUNCH EVENT
Date: Saturday 21st August 2010
Time: 12.00pm SL time
12.00: A few words from the ACA team (Florencia007 Csak, Caf Binder, Quirky Torok)
12.10: Video presentation
12.20: Photographic competition winner announcement
12.30-13.30: Pink Floyd Tribute concert
Be part of the ACA33 v3.0 revolution!
This page contains all OFFICIAL information, ARTICLES and external LINKS to the ACA-SL CUP 2010 useful documents.
The AmericasCupAnywhere (ACA) is developed by 9th.com
Discussions and official posts:
- Forum: ACA TROPHY 2010 Thread
- ACA Racer blog
- 33rd ACA Competitors – Registration form
- Course A chart
- Course B chart
- All the results – Spreadsheet
- Detailled results – Saturday 30 january 2010
- Detailled results – Saturday 6 february 2010
Articles on ACA Racer blog:
(all by Quirky Torok – ACA Management)
- January 10, 2010: ACA Trophy 2010 (dedicated page)
- January 22, 2010: The ACA gets an update…again
- January 23, 2010: Just a little Chit Chat
- February 4, 2010: Its all go for the finals
- February 6, 2010: ACA Beach party
- February 6, 2010: 33rd ACA SL Cup Trophy ceremony
- February 6, 2010: Trapez Breen winner of the 33rd ACA SL CUP 2010
Articles on SLSAILING.COM:
- January 13, 2010: The 2010 ACA-SL Cup begins by MarkTwain White
- January 17, 2010: VMG demystified by Bea Woodget
- January 18, 2010: VMG applied to Course A of ACA-SL Cup by Bea Woodget
- January 22, 2010: Breaking News by Bea Woodget
- January 24, 2020: 2007 ACA Winner – Eugene Sodwind Interview by Nber Medici
- January 27, 2010: SL-ACA Cup: double challenge for finalists by Bea Woodget
- January 29, 2010: Let’s Zep In by Bea Woodget
- February 1, 2010: Saturday Night Fever by Bea Woodget
- February 4, 2010: 2007 ACA Cup – Interview with Leon Falta by Nber Medici
- February 6, 2010: 3,2,1… by Bea Woodget
- February 6, 2010: Trapez Breen brings Cup home by Bea Woodget
- February 10, 2010: Interview with Naeve Rossini by Nber Medici
Videos by MarkTwain White (45 minutes of videography !!!)
- America’s Cup in Second Life – Part 1 – 4AM, 6AM, 8AM Fleet races
- America’s Cup in Second Life – Part 2 – 10AM & Noon Fleet races
- America’s Cup in Second Life – Part 3 – 2PM, 4PM, 6PM Fleet races
- America’s Cup in Second Life – Part 4 – Quarter finals
- America’s Cup in Second Life – Part 5 – Semifinals and Final
Other medias gracefully provided
- ACA Trophy 2010 – Flickr album by Dil Spitz
- 33rd ACA Trophy – Koinup photos album by Orca Flotta (pics by Aquarius Paravane)
First off 9th.com would like to thank all those who have participated – specially to all the SL sailors who competed in this edition of the ACA SL
Cup. Skippers and fans, lets give each other a big WOOOT!
Second, I would like to take this moment to specially thank Naeve Rossini and Quirky Torok who made this 33rd Cup edition possible.
Thanks to all racer officer and Clubs who participated, special thanks to MarkTwain White and Nber Medici.
It has been a big effort to sustain the ACA project all these years. Keeping a community alive in SL takes many hours, dedication and money. Why we do it? because we are ACA fans like all of you and we love this community.
Throughout these 2 years we have developed and upgraded the ACA RACER with the help of great and dedicated developer which I want to thank. Boat sculpt modeling: Neron Blanco and Scripters: disisme Misfit and Caf Binder.
A new ACA RACER 3.0 is currently being scripted by Caf Binder and from what I know my friends, this is going to be the best of the best. Some new features will be sail engine with apparent wind and use of real polars; WWC compatible, plus a lot of details in boat behavior and yes, this version will have spinnaker, which is currently being sculpted by Neron Blanco.
Going forward, ACA Management will continue to host exiting sailing event for all of you and all the new friends that will join us in this challenge to make virtual world a meaningful extension of our lives 🙂
and finally, congratulations to Trapez Breen, our ultimate winner, for a well earned victory. You have shown great virtual yachtsmanship and are a deserved winner. Is my honor to award you the ACA-SL CUP Trophy. Congratulations. WOOOT!
Time to celebrate this victory !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you! 😉
Trophy ceremony will take place at ACA round building in Santa Rosa sim.
See you all there.
Second Life location: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Santa%20Rosa/217/40/57
Celebrating the ACA winner with Beach party
Saturday, 06 Feb 2010 16:58:02 GMT
It’s a Party!! And we are celebrating the winner of the ACA with a Beach party! Leave those skimpy bikini’s on and lets dance the afternoon away with DJ Quirky spinnning for you. Park your sails at Starboards Yacht club and come on into the Marina Basin. The bar is open and the drinks are on me. No better way to spend a Saturday afternoon then with friends! See you here at 11:00am. Huggss Fairie
ACA Radio is now broadcasting!!!!! http://18.104.22.168:24500 streaming at the Hollywood start line!!! tune in